Saturday, April 27, 2013

Apple's Robotic Staff

So I had the opportunity to go to the mall today to pick up an iPad 2 that my father and I purchased for my mother. It was located within a mall, so I was not expecting the store to be big at all. It was organized in a very neat manner and I can respect that. What slightly bothered me about the store was the staff itself. There was nothing wrong with the staff physically. One could look at them and even hold a conversation with them and not find a fault with them. Where I find fault is the participation the staff had in the store. It all felt so mechanical and lifeless. I shall explain. When we walked in, we were promptly greeted and were offered help by a cheery young man. We told him our business, which was picking up an iPad 2 that we ordered online, and we sent to a young lady. I cannot remember her name for the life of me, but for the sake of the story I shall refer to her as ‘Emily’. Emily asked one of the ‘runners’ to bring the iPad 2 with the case we ordered and within no time, we were sent to another young lady, whose name I also forgot, but shall call ‘Alison’. She assisted us in setting up the iPad. It all just seemed so mechanical. As if this was a play or a piece that was rehearsed millions of times. It felt so lifeless, like false smiles and gestures. Were they truly happy to help us? Were they really that happy that we bought a product with the signature Apple logo on it? What concerned me the most was the young man who called out to me on the way, wishing me a happy day and hoping I enjoyed the new iPad. Now I apologize if I come off as jaded, or rude, but it just doesn’t feel like real life. It feels too fabricated and rehearsed. It seems as if they are robots, following a command line of “If/ Then” Statements. If one situation fits the qualification, proceed to smile and guide them to the next facility. It all just seemed fake. Maybe I am just losing faith in humanity, or I have lost sight of the ‘good’ people in the world, but something seemed off at that Apple Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment